10. Jul, 2017

Nous Arrivons!

Well, what a couple of weeks this has been.  A while since my last post about the hotel stay in Shanghai.  There has been a lot going on, which has not been helped at all by a lack of connectivity here in the countryside!  

We said goodbyes to tearful friends and staff in hotel lobbies, airport drop off zones and several other places. I managed to avoid 'the ugly cry' except for one occasion, but others didn't do so well.  

We checked in with Air France early on the morning of June 28th, having met the lady from the dogs' kennels, and hearing the girls howling from their crates, we paid all our excess baggage charges (gulp) and waved the ladies off.  That was the probably the longest flight of my life.  Every little bump in the flight I worried that they'd fall over, or be scared.  I didn't sleep much.

Tom charmed the cabin crew and joined their frequent flyer programme, so that was fine.  Eventually, we arrived in Paris. We'd paid for airport assistance, which was great, and very necessary owing to my soaring stress levels.  

We came through the airport with no problems at all and I was very relieved to hear two healthy and complaining dogs coming out of the oversize luggage area.  The staff there put them on An appropriate trolley, and wheeled them outside. Along with our suitcases, us, and our assistance lady, Arlene.

We took the girls out of their travel crates and they had a walk on leads up and down the area, they were very thirsty and complaining (a lot) but otherwise they were physically fine.  Steve and Arelene headed off to collect our rental car, which came back way smaller than we had booked.  Tricky. There was no way everything and everyone was going to fit in that!  Nice car though.

This was where Arlene really came into her own.  She set off brought us bottled water, and went to get her own car. Dog crates and two suitcases in her car and we followed her to our hotel.  Got they room key and took the dogs into the lift and their first ever hotel stay.  All those sniffs!!

The luggage came in various trips, and Steve broke down the dogs travel crates and used them as suitcase holders in the car.  Pink immediately took to the big bed with her back to us In her now well known "I am not speaking to you humans" pose.  Dottie was just frantic and wanted a fuss. Constantly.

The next morning we set off on the road to Franche-Comte. We were somewhat overloaded and it was not the most comfortable journey ever.  I had 1 seat and half of one of those half sized middle seats to share with Pink and Dottie.  The rest was luggage.

Where was Tom in all of this?  Up front with his Dad of course, in comfort!  Several hours later, we arrived at our new home.  Completely pooped.  

The saga will continue........